Monday, December 5, 2011

literary project final

ねこのうた
なつのコンサート
クロイふゆ
translation:
a cats song
summers concert
black winter

I have a backyard with lots of alley cats, that you hear all summer long, but not in the winter when it is cold.  So this poem is about the life and lively-ness of summer in new york compared to how dark and dreary the winter can be. 

2 usages of katakana. One is a loanword, and the other to emphasize a dark quiet winter.

うえからあめ
きいろいとあかい
はのダンス
translation:
rain from above
yellow and red
dance of leaves.

I love walking under fall leaves as the fall.  This poem is about watching the yellow and red leaves gracefully fall.  

One loanword usage of katakana.


とりのうち
ピンクとあかいさくら
ちいさいピヨピヨ
translation:
a birds house
pink and red sakura
a small "chirp chirp"

Every spring I go look at cherry blossoms with my mother, and used to with my grandmother before she passed away.  I always used to think that if birds nest in those trees, they have would pretty flowers to look at.  This poem is about new life of spring. Not only of the flowers, but of animals, specifically baby birds that quietly chirp. My mother corrected me that sakura are never red, but I kept that in there anyway because there are other types of flowering trees that do have red blossoms. 

2 usages of katakana. One is a loan word, and the other is onomatopoeia.

4 comments:

  1. These haiku are really, really beautiful! They are simple but that only gives them more of an impact. The one about leaves really pretty, and I love the katakana usage in the last one! baby animals are the best. I enjoyed reading the way that you personally relate to each poem also. ありがとうございます for writing these beautiful haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. とてもいいです、そしてきれいです!
    The imagery in your last haiku is beautiful, heck your use of imagery and how it conveys meaning in life in all the haikus us beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. あなたのはいくはとてもいいですね!わたしはきのはいくがいちばんすきですよ。

    Great haikus Alt-san. Your second one reminds me of back home in Washington state. I love standing in my mother's driveway and looking up at the maple leaves as the sun shines through them. After reading your haiku, I really want to go home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. はいくうは きいれいですよ。 The imagery in each and every of your haiku was beautiful. I loved that you used different colors in each and different natural imagery. So, so great!

    ReplyDelete