Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why I chose to study Japanese

I decided to study Japanese because my mother is from Japan and I spoke it as a child.  However, I grew up in New York and my family stopped using it in the house when I was still young so I do not remember how to speak it.  I love the country of Japan and whenever I visit, I always wish I spoke the language.  I am excited to improve my Japanese so I can better communicate with my family members that still live in Japan.  I am also excited to learn how to read and write in Japanese, though this is something that I have found difficult in the first couple of weeks.  No matter how slow I write, or how hard I try to be as precise as possible, the hiragana characters never turn out to look like the ones I am copying.  Hopefully this will become easier with practice!

4 comments:

  1. I have a similar experience - I was raised in a Moroccan household. Can I hold a conversation in Arabic (アラビア語)?

    いいえ!Maybe learning different languages altogether is my (totally senseless) way of protesting.

    Well, がんばってくづさい!Keep on your logical path!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best of luck! Reading and writing is difficult these few weeks but once we get past the hard part the result will be extremely rewarding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. はじめまして。Your story is similar to mine! My dad is Japanese and I lived in Japan for a few years until I was three, but once I moved to Michigan and made new American friends, I refused to speak Japanese so I completely lost it! I would love to be able to carry a conversation with my family in Japan.
    がんばてね。

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I have to exact same problem. I do not know how to speak formal language. I'm very colloquial and I'm afraid that I might offend people when I don't speak to them formally!

    ReplyDelete