Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shabu Shabu

I am currently いぬ (dog) sitting for a friend on the upper east side.  While I don't normally like this neighborhood all too much, it is close to one of my favorite japanese restaurants that I have been coming to with my family for years.  Therefore I am very pleased to be staying here for it is an excuse to eat there!  I haven't been for a few months, so I went last night with a friend and had a sushi/sashimi combination.  The sushi chef (who dresses up in a bunny costume if its your birthday!!) gave us whatever was the freshest of the day.  We had suzuki, hamachi, tuna, ika, mackeral, shrimp, and much more.

The restaurant is named for the dish "shabu-shabu" which is where you get a big pot of boiling water and cook thin slices of meat and vegetables in the pot at the table.  My grandfather told me it was named "shabu-shabu" after the "shabu-shabu" sound the meat makes as you move it around the water to cook it.

It is a wonderful restaurant at 70th between 2nd and 3rd, a little pricey, so maybe if your parents come in to visit and want to take you for a nice japanese meal, have them take you there;)

6 comments:

  1. Shabu-shabu sounds delicious. Being a student is hard when there are so many great restaurants in the city! Having your parents come visit really is key...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shabu shabu is my favorite!! What's the restaurant called? There's a couple of good Japanese restaurants downtown at St. Marks street as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I love food/gourmet updates and reviews! I will definitely check this place out. i wrote it down in my little notebook.

    Let me recommend something too! There is this delicious ramen restaurant down at NYU called いっぷど(Ippudo). It is heavenly! But the wait is at least two hours so be sure to order first, explore the NYU neighborhood and Union Square, and then go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ありがとう for the recommendation! My mom loves shabu shabu, so I will definitely have to take my family when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shabu shabu is now the latest destination after Sake Bar Hagi!! So many Japanese restaurants to visit!! I know that the Chinese equivalent is 'huo guo', and I wonder which nation inspired which. Regardless, I think the Japanese hot pot is more light and delicate in taste, while the Chinese hot pot is spicy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My aunt-by-marriage (who is Chinese) introduced this to my family several years ago as an alternate Thanksgiving meal, though she called it hot pot. I absolutely love it. おおしいです!It's also so much more fun to cook something with everyone around together than to have a couple people slaving around in the kitchen while everyone else waits.

    ReplyDelete